Hello! My name is Nicky Laird and I am the Child and Family Support Worker in school.My primary role in school is to support children with their mental health promoting self-esteem, confidence, resilience and positive attitudes to learning.
Support for pupils includes:
- Promoting good attendance and punctuality
- Promoting self-esteem and confidence in their own abilities
- Promoting positive behaviour and attitudes to learning and school
- Providing one-to-one nurture support and small group support
- Supporting with key transitions
- Supporting with family issues: bereavement, new baby in the family, parent's separation/ divorce, illness
Part of my role in school is to improve outcomes for families by alleviating barriers to learning, as well as improving communication links between school and home. I can help you with any worries that you may have in relation to your child's education, behaviour and wellbeing and I am also here as someone to talk to if you need it!
Support for families includes:
- Providing information and signposting to other services in the local area
- Liaising with a range of external services such as housing and Social Care
- Assistance in completing paperwork and forms e.g. housing, school places and benefits
- Attendance and support at school and other agency meetings
- Advice and support in promoting positive behaviour at home
- Strengthening existing parenting skills
- Supporting with routines, mealtimes, sleep and play
- Guidance with career and personal development and access to training and workshops in school
- Empowerment of parents and encouragement of effective parenting and involvement, through courses and workshops
I have family of my own, so I understand that life can often be emotionally and physically challenging, and parents and carers sometimes need someone to talk too. I am a friendly face offering a listening ear. I am available to have informal chats about things that concern you as parents. I also work in partnership with statutory and voluntary agencies for the benefit of our families. Anything discussed between families and myself will be in confidence, however, it will always be dealt with in accordance with the school's Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy.
Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com or book an appointment to see me through Mrs Clarke in the school office.